China’s National Immigration Administration (NIA) announced on Monday that non-Chinese permanent residents of Hong Kong and Macao special administrative regions can apply for the Mainland Travel Permit document from July 10.

The announcement fell on the 27th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to the motherland. The authority said that the new policy aims to facilitate the exchange of personnel between the Chinese mainland and the two special administrative regions and help the two regions better integrate into the national development framework.

An NIA spokesperson stated that non-Chinese permanent residents should submit applications to the China Travel Service (Hong Kong) Ltd or the China Travel Service (Macao) Ltd.

If the travel document is damaged, lost or expired, they can apply for a replacement at the exit-entry administration of the municipal public security bureau during their stay on the Chinese mainland. But if they have left the Chinese mainland, they can apply for a replacement or reissue from the China Travel Service (Hong Kong) Ltd or the China Travel Service (Macao) Ltd.

The travel permit, valid for five years, allows multiple entries with stays of up to 90 days. While it permits visits for various exchanges, it does not allow holders to work, study or engage in journalistic activities on the Chinese mainland. Those activities require separate visas or permits.

A spokesperson emphasized that the new measure will enhance connectivity, support economic and cultural exchanges, and promote the prosperity and stability of Hong Kong and Macao. The NIA also stressed that it will further deepen reforms to improve its services to help Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area integration and China’s high-quality development.




Leave A Reply